Breathing, a natural process of your body to keep it functioning properly while walking, talking, eating, sleeping, listening, kissing, having sex and reading this blog post etc. You are breathing, hence you are alive! The question is “Are you breathing enough?” I want you to ask this vital question at least a few times a day while noticing your automatic breathing. Along with the science of Yoga, breathing is a detailed science explained in Tantra. Yoga and Tantra relate breath with the moon and the sun, left and right nostril respectively. And, also explains the feminine and masculine psyche elements us.
Modern science has very little to do with breathing and psychology where eastern Yogis understand the importance of breathing on your physical, mental and spiritual well-being. In Ayurveda diagnosis and medical system, it is clear that people with shallow breathing have poor digestion. Poor digestion leads to many kinds of diseases.
Here are few examples to see your breathing type. It is easy to find a personality/ psyche types with your breathing, e.g. :
- Short and shallow breathing: It exhibits anxiety and impatience in a person that could lead to stress and passive aggression.
- Short and rapid breathing: It exhibits impatience and aggression in form of negative and compulsive emotions such as anger, fear, jealousy and resentment.
- Shallow and fast breathing: It exhibits the uncontrolled emotions for a habit, such as smoking, addiction of Facebook/ Smartphone. This type of breathing generally leads to a compulsive and rapid thinking, hence leads to destructive thoughts of lust etc.
Observe your breathing and consciously control it deep inhalation, retention of breath inside for a second and exhalation for longer leads to a calmer mind and a confident personality. A habit of deeper breathing will also bring quality to your sexual life. You can try this breathing to see the instant effects on your body, mind and spirit:
- Deep inhale and slower exhale breathing: This simple breathing will enhance your focus, brings a relaxed state of mind hence you are able to listen more, understand better and think clearer.
- Deep inhale, keep the breath in the belly and then exhale slower: With a gradual practice of this breathing, you will cut stress, anger, impatience and uneasiness. If you are going for an important meeting or an interview, try this breathing for 5 mins and let me know the results in the comment section.
- Belly breathing: A natural way of breathing. Observe a child how they breathe so deep in their belly have a rise of the stomach. This breathing brings “superhuman” capabilities in you. You will be in a state of flow, more confident, losing yourself completely in a given task, enjoying the flow being in complete control of your psyche.
The main thing to note that “deep” or Normal breathing is not Pranayama. Once you get better in your breathing, only then you can reap the fruits of practising Yoga, mindfulness or concentration. One can also get to a meditative state once you have perfected your breathing and practising Pranayama.
Remember, you cannot do mastery over your breathing overnight, keep a conscious look out on how you are breathing and gently control it to breathe deeper. Slowly you will get it has a habit.